The holidays can be the most wonderful time of the year, but can also be the most stressful. According to research, 88% of people surveyed feel the festive season is the most stressful time of the year. Many times unrealistic expectations are set from worrying about getting gifts, seeing family, financial pressures, to planning holiday meals. Many holiday stress triggers can wreak havoc on your body such as travel aches and pains, sleeping in a different bed, hosting events and overindulging on food and drinks.
A few quick tips to help reduce holiday stress:
- Exercise regularly - don't skimp
- Keep a regular sleep schedule
- Plan ahead to prevent last-minute scrambling
- Make time for yourself
- Eat right - don't overindulge
- Don't try to be Martha Stewart
To help heal your body and mind from stress and anxiety, doctors, therapists, and other health professionals recommend the power of massage. Research shows that massage reduces stress, on physical and psychological levels, by helping to lower heart rate, blood pressure, cortisol levels, and insulin levels. Serotonin and dopamine are also released, which helps the body overcome chronic or habitual as well as acute or short-term stress.
A well-known study by the University of Miami School of Medicine's Touch Research Institute found that 15 minutes in a massage chair enhances measurable EEG brain activity in adults. Additionally, these adults performed more quickly and accurately in mathematical testing after receiving the massage, while groups without massage showed no improvements.
Massage (Stress) Benefits:
- Helps lower heart rate with increased circulation
- Helps reduce muscle tension, tightness and stress
- Massage helps trigger the release of natural pain killers and feel-good hormones
Massage can help reduce the levels of stress hormones, such as cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine, which can reduce anxiety, fatigue, stress, and physical and mental strain.
- Anxiety and depression can be reduced once stress levels are decreased
Muscle tension, pain reliever, mood booster — how a massage chair can help
- Relieve Muscle Tension: The back massage rollers provide deep-tissue massage to help reduce muscle tension from your neck and shoulders.
- Breath Easier: A massage chair can help relax the respiratory muscles around your lungs and back to help you breathe easier and relax.
- Relieve Pain: Massage chairs can warm up your body and have targeted heat. Not only it is warm and cozy, but the heat also loosens tight muscles and opens up your body to fully experience the benefits of massage. Heat therapy helps with blood circulation, loosening muscles, allowing them to become more flexible. And it just feels good!
- Boost Your Mood: A good massage can have a positive impact on your well-being by helping to produce endorphins and serotonin in your brain. Easy-to-use auto programs like Energize, Soothe, Refresh allows you to choose a program that fits your mood.
- Take a Load Off with Zero Gravity: In zero gravity position, your legs can either be leveled with your back or elevated above your heart. This can give you a feeling of weightlessness and allows the mind to drift into a deeply peaceful state.
- Reflexology to Relieve Stress: According to the Mayo Clinic, studies indicate reflexology may reduce pain and psychological symptoms, such as stress and anxiety. Most Infinity massage chairs feature triple shiatsu rollers along with the squeeze of air compression massage to provide reflexology relief throughout the body. It focuses on relieving points of tension within the soles of the feet and linking to other areas of the body.
Surviving the holiday season stress-free can be a challenge. Massage is as easy as opening a gift bag — complete relief is just a room away with an Infinity Massage Chair.
Call now to talk with one of our Massage Chair Specialists at 603-910-5000 who can help walk you through the massage chair buying process, or use our Free survey to find your perfect chair on our website. We're more than happy to help you find relief from holiday stress and get back to feeling comfort and joy.