Massage guns are one of the latest fitness trends for post workout pain and injury prevention. Massage guns help a wide range of people with an active lifestyle like an athlete who is constantly dealing with aches and pains, or a person dealing with circulation problems or fibromyalgia. Percussive massage can be an alternative approach to deep-tissue massage or foam rolling.
What is a Massage Gun?
Pain relief that fits in the palm of your hand. A massage gun is a small handheld device that looks like a small drill. Most have a variety of attachments and speeds that can be used to target a variety of different muscle areas using percussive massage.
How Percussive Therapy Works
Percussive massage is also known as percussive therapy (beyond vibration therapy) and is a deeper-tissue massage technique typically used to relieve soft tissue pain with concentrated, rapid, short-duration pulses or jolts of pressure into the muscle tissues. Percussive therapy has pre-workout benefits to wake up muscles and post-workout benefits to help recover muscles.
What are the Top Health Benefits:
- Fast and effective at helping to prevent DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). This can happen when you push your muscles beyond their normal limit
- Helps to shortens recovery time by breaking up lactic acid in the muscles
- Helps to increase range of motion – making muscles more flexible and less prone to strains
- Helps to increases blood circulation which can help minimize muscle tension and inflammation
- Helps to relieve muscle spasms and stiffness
- Helps to decrease muscle soreness by lengthening muscles and tissues
- Helps to break up knots, scar tissue and inflammation
How to Use
- Do not hold in one spot, move it around in a small radius around the problem area to help the tense muscles relax
- Use on muscles, avoid nerves, bones, joints or tendons
- Relax — let go of tension and allow the massage gun to do its work
What to look for in a Massage Gun
Guns with multiple speeds make it more versatile
- Quiet & Smooth Operation:
The lower the decibal, the quieter the motor. A brushless motor = smooth operation and will last longer.
Battery life can vary. Look for a battery with at least 3 hours between charges.
- No Stall (high wattage gun):
A high torque (over 20 watts) will ensure that your device will never stall while applying pressure so it doesn’t inhibit your ability to get the benefit of the percussive massage.
- Massage Depth:
Depth, speed, and force are key to any deep muscle treatment. The depth of percussive massage — how far the massage head extends and retracts into the body with each movement is measured in amplitude (more than 10 mm is good). Like a deep-tissue massage you want more depth in your massage. More like powerful pulses and less like vibration.
Massage is so beneficial for recovery and injury prevention and a massage gun can provide the convenience and versatility to help your whole body recover faster and help you get to the next level of your fitness goals.
Looking for a Massage Gun? Learn more about The Infinity PR Pro® Advantage Percussive Massage Device and the Infinity PR Pro® Endurance Percussive Massage Device. We don’t compromise one feature for the other — it’s built to give you all the high-quality benefits you need, in one amazing device.